1.12.2012

sarah's houses

My friend Travis over at The Well Appointed Home recently did a blog post about Tommy Smythe, design assistant to Sarah Richardson.  His work is beautiful, and it gave me the idea to address Sarah, herself.

Some of you may know Sarah Richardson from the ever-such-a-thorn-in-my-side HGTV.  but honestly, she's the only "designer" on there that I'll give the time of day to.  She is, indeed, a real designer, and an amazing one at that.  I am a regular viewer of all of her shows, but I have to say, Sarah's House is my favorite.



This dining room and kitchen are from a penthouse apartment that Sarah did.  I am over the moon over the cabinet doors in that madagascar ebony wood and the light fixture over the dining table.  What an amazing alternative to the traditional chandelier in your formal dining room.


These are some great solutions to small spaces from her website.  On the left is a dining area that accommodates a 6-top table in an apartment that does not have a dining room at all.  This is a great workspace, and it's so great to have this resource when having a dinner party!  On the right you'll see a beautiful floor in a powder room of a basement.  Powder rooms are the perfect place to use a very expensive or elaborate flooring or wallcovering.  Because the space is so small, you won't be spending very much for a lot of impact!


Above is a bathroom and laundry room is one of the Sarah's House homes.  Who wouldn't kill for this laundry room?! 




This is the entry to my favorite of the Sarah's House seasons.  This is from the mid-century back split that she designed.  First of all, this grey is the perfect color for me.  The white of the banister and moldings and the dark floors make for the ideal light/dark mix.  Anyone that knows me will tell you: I love neutrals like nobody's business!


This is the living room and kitchen of the same home.  I love the pink accents in the living area.  And the kitchen shows how great it can look to do different colored cabinets on the top and bottom.  As a general rule of thumb, do a darker tone on the bottom and a lighter version of the same color on the top.  I think if it was me, I would do a medium grey on the bottom and a light grey on the top.  Perfect for when you just can't pick a color!

If you aren't familiar with Sarah's work, be sure to check her out on HGTV.  and then, when the show goes off, so should your TV.  the rest is just a big no-no.  :)

all images via {Sarah Richardson Design}

9 comments:

  1. I worship at the alter of Sarah Richardson and Tommy Smythe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am such a fan of all of her shows and the banter between she and Tommy is priceless...gorgeous images!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, designchic! I'm so excited that you're following my blog, and I love yours, too!

      Delete
  3. It's the best show. Seriously.

    PS-I'm a brand-new blogger. It's nice to meet someone else in the same boat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. make/do - thanks! i'm so glad you found the blog! how is your blogging experience going so far? i'll be sure to check it out!

      Delete
  4. I'm looking for some great headboards.....I'm thinking tufting/nail heads/beveled edges....that sort of thing in a cool grey/silvery or tan/neutral color....help me! I have someone custom making this but I'm looking for some great pics to go off of. Can you post some on your blog?
    Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tirejo - absolutely! glad to have a specific request... coming right up!

      Delete
  5. Can anyone identify the materials on the entryway floor and the basement bathroom floor? THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The entry tile looks like a vein-cut marble - there are many different grey variations out there. The bathroom floor looks like a matchstick ashcan mocha or similar mosaic for the tan. I'm not sure what the grey mosaic tiles are in this space.

      Hope that helps!

      Delete